Thursday 31 October 2013

20131021 After winter transplanting and look after challenging winter

I apologize for not posting for long time. All I had time to do is reply to posts as soon as I was able to.

We moved house and everything in our life had to be reshuffled in a way. 

My service to Tulsi was challenged too and I have to admit I haven't given her as much time as I used to. 

I regret that and unfortunately it wasn't the first time.

Somehow or another these challenges come from time to time and we have to hold on not to let our Tulsi's leave us.

One lady told me her Tulsi left her body when she got her baby. She couldn't give her enough attention and she simply left over Winter.

I'm quite happy and humbled that our Tulsi stayed, otherwise this blog will be a bad example :(

That is partly the purpose I started this blog. To write about the good and the bad times in our service to her.

So from practical perspective here is what I've done.

Last Monday I've transplanted two of our smaller Tulsi'a in a slightly larger pot. So I went from 15cm to 18cm pot.

As you can see the pot size is just a size bigger.


This time I bought self watering pot as this way she partly regulates the watering her self a lot and looks better.

I've also given them a nice shower and I hope they would soon start budding with new force. 

As you can see they look a bit bushy. What I realized I was doing this winter is over watering.

I was doing the same thing I'm advising others not to do!

In the same time this advice is easy and not so easy. It all depends on the time spent with her. How connected and how attentive you are to changes your Tulsi undergoes and since I didn't have enough time for her I wasn't in sync with her enough and I gave them more than they needed.

Partly the reason is change of position to the sun and the fact they are now almost directly over the hot air outlet from our heating.
That means in the night there are fluctuations in temperature especially during winter time. It gets cold and than the heating system kicks in and splashes them with nice hot air and all night like that.  Temperature going up and down.


I've done what I could for the moment, transplanted them, given them a little bit of a liquid sea weed manure and I'm trying to give them as much attention as I can to avoid further over watering.

This time I've used our own organic soil from our garden. It's fresh, only a few months old and I hope it has a lot of nutrients in it.

Let's see how they will be growing.

Happy Tulsi growing.


This is how you hold Tulsi when you are transplanting her


Holding Tulsi while transplanting

All done. Tulsi's in their new pots.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dreamcatcher,
    Congrats and best of luck on your new home. The tulsi's are looking fine.Hope you remember me from my previous posts and an email and have been following your advice on taking care of tulsi in melbourne weather which has been so bad lately :-(

    Cheers
    Sheetal

    ReplyDelete